Improvements to Provide Better Services to our Clients - ACE Closure Dates for Computer and Systems Upgrades
ACE will be closed on Wednesday, December 2, 2015 for computer and other system upgrades.
Callers will not be able to leave voicemail messages on our phones on December 2. We will do our best to respond to the December 2 voicemail when we reopen on December 3.
The Advocacy Centre for the Elderly is a community based legal clinic for low income senior citizens. ACE is managed by a volunteer board of directors at least half of whom are seniors. ACE is funded through Legal Aid Ontario and is the first legal clinic in Canada to specialize in the legal problems of seniors.
ACE provides direct legal services to low-income seniors, public legal education, and engages in law reform activities. ACE services and activities are in relation to areas of law of special importance to the seniors' population.
- See ACE's submissions to the Standing Committee on General Government on Bill 122, the Mental Health Statute Law Amendment Act.
- ACE is now on twitter! #acelawyers
- ACE's AGM is on November 17, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. at the YMCA (20 Grosvenor Street, Toronto)
- See ACE's submissions on the Ontario Seniors' Secretariat five-year review of the Retirement Homes Act, 2010.
- October 1, 2015 is the International Day of Older Persons. A memorial ceremony marking the anniversary of the Casa Verde Inquest is being held at Queen's Park from 11:00am to 12:00pm.
- ACE Job Opening: Junior Lawyer - Deadline for applications is September 19, 2015.
- See ACE's submissions regarding the new Patient Ombudsman and participate in the survey to provide your opinion on this role.
- Monday, October 19, 2015, is Election Day in Canada! See ACE's primer for details on voter registration and identification.
- Ontario is holding a public consultation on Physician-Assisted Dying by online survey or by telephone at 1-866-477-6753.
- ACE Newsletter, Volume 12, Number 1 (Spring/Summer 2015)
- ACE commentary on Draft Consent to Treatment Policy of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario - February 20, 2015
- ACE commentary on Draft Planning for and Providing Quality End of Life Care of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario - February 20, 2015
- Toronto Star - Senior pushed out of retirement home the week before Christmas, December 18, 2014
- CTV News - No comprehensive inspection for 60% of Ontario's long-term care homes, December 3, 2014
- Notice of ACE's Annual General Meeting, to be held at 6:00pm on November 18, 2014 at the YMCA of Greater Toronto, Central YMCA, Grosvenor Room, 20 Grosvenor Street, Toronto, ON
- Chronic Care Hospital Co-Payment: Frequently Asked Questions, MOHLTC - July 2014
- ACE Newsletter, Volume 1, Number 2 (Fall 2014)
- Jane Meadus published in Healthcare Management Forum - Waiting for placement: Discharge from hospital to long-term care in Ontario, Vol 27, No. 2, Summer 2014 (This is a link to an external website that charges for viewing articles. All material on the ACE website are available free of charge).
- Brendan Gray in Educational Video: Health Care Consent and Advance Care Planning: Getting in Right in Ontario for Health Practitioners, 2014 (scroll down to bottom of page)
- Toronto Star - Sunnybrook hospital broke law by enforcing do-not-resuscitate order, says watchdog - September 5, 2014
- Jan Goddard's Letter to the Editor on the use of the term "Grey Tsunami" in the Globe and Mail - June 12, 2014
- ACE Commentary on Toronto Star article: “Use of antipsychotics soaring at Ontario nursing homes”
- Toronto Star - Speech pathologists, hospital union accuse Ontario of rationing seniors’ care - April 23, 2014
- Office of the Fire Marshall and Emergency Management - Announcement re mandatory sprinklers in all vulernable Occupancies - February 12, 2014
- “Home First” – Is It Right For You? - February 2014
- Issues with Long-Term Care Rate Reductions - February 2014
- ACE completes paper for the Law Commission of Ontario on Health Care Consent and Advance Care Planning, in partnership with the law firm of Dykeman Dewhirst O'Brien LLP
- ACE Newsletter, Volume 11, Number 1 (Winter 2014)
- Misuse of Powers of Attorney for Personal Care - November 26, 2013
- Press Release on Supreme Court of Canada's Decision in Cuthbertson v. Rasouli -October 18, 2013
- Discharge from Hospital to Long-Term Care: Issues in Ontario- Updated February 2014
- Memo to LHIN CEOs re: Home First Philosophy, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - January 2013
- Memo Re ALC patients who refuse an offer of admission to a prior-chosen LTC home bed, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - May 23, 2012
- Memo Re Crisis Designation and First Available Bed Policy, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - February 23, 2011
- ACE's Spring/Summer 2013 Newsletter
- Enhanced Scrutiny of Long-Term Care Homes - ACE successful in having the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care commit to full annual inspections - June 2013
- Bulletin to Applicants for Long-Term Care Homes: Important News Regarding Long-Term Care Home Accommodations Charges, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - May 2013
- Long-Term Care Home Resident Co-Payment: Frequently Asked Questions, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - May 2013
- Information about Preferred Accommodation Rates
- Complaints in Long-Term Care - Updated May 2013
- Ontario Launches Action Plan for Seniors, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - January 15, 2013
ACE in the News
Kingston Whig-Standard - Uncomfortable Questions in Comforting Statistics - Editorial - November 26, 2015
Toronto Star - Woman died in agony after bedsores neglected at high-end Oakville nursing home - September 16, 2015
Toronto Star - Eviction a sad commentary - Letters to the Editor - December 24, 2014
Global News - Jane Meadus interviewed on The Morning Show - November 6, 2014
Law Times - Focus: Lawyers worry about misuse of prior capable wishes by doctors - October 20, 2014
Welland Tribune - Capability not determined by age - October 7, 2014
Toronto Star - Ontario’s eldercare laws under review as dementia rates rise - June 26, 2014
NorthumberlandView - It's Time To Stop Abuse And Restore Respect To Prevent Elder Abuse - June 15, 2014
Burlington Post - Advocacy Centre for the Elderly empowers Burlington seniors about long-term care - June 11, 2014
CTV News - Ottawa hospital faces allegations of patient abuse, neglect - June 5, 2014
Toronto Star - Ontario needs dementia strategy that doesn’t include anti-psychotic drugs: Editorial - April 15, 2014
Toronto Star - Use of antipsychotics soaring at Ontario nursing homes - April 15, 2014. See also:
Toronto Star - Did Zyprexa kill Aunt Gerry? - April 15, 2014
Toronto Star - Antipsychotic drugs prescribed to seniors at alarming rates, province finds - April 21, 2014
Toronto Star - Ontario’s casual approach to drugging seniors with antipsychotics: Walkom - April 22, 2014
Insidebrockville.com - Elder Abuse forum brings together service providers - April 3, 2014
Mississauga.com - Seniors learn how to prevent financial abuse - February 4, 2014
CBC Radio - Graham Webb interviewed on Metro Morning - January 27, 2014
Toronto Star - Ontario looks at speeding up sprinkler installation - January 25, 2014
Toronto Star - Ontario needs strategy for boom in elderly with dementia: Editorial - January 12, 2014
Toronto Star - Ontario’s elderly deserve proper inspection of care homes: Editorial - January 10, 2014
Toronto Star - Etobicoke senior back in hospital after being sent by ambulance to wrong address - December 18, 2013
CBC Radio - Jane Meadus interviewed on Here and Now Toronto - December 9, 2013
Hamilton Spectator - Couple forced to live apart after nearly 60 years of marriage - November 29, 2013
Global Toronto - Judith Wahl interviewed on The Morning Show - November 26, 2013
Toronto Star - More suspected abuse at Wexford Residence nursing home - November 24, 2013
Toronto Star - Coroner's office cuts back on nursing home death probes - November 20, 2013
Toronto Star - Antipsychotics prescribed to too many seniors: study - November 14, 2013
- Toronto Star - Nursing-home violence a growing concern, with 11% of residents classed as ‘aggressive’ - November 12, 2013. See also Toronto Star - Castleview Wychwood Towers, where resident was killed, has history of problems - November 12, 2013
Hamilton Spectator - Hamilton short of long-term care beds - November 9, 2013
ACE lawyers interviewed regarding the Supreme Court of Canada's decision in Cuthbertson v. Rasouli:
- Graham Webb interviewed at the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa (Graham is the second speaker on the linked video starting at 1:07), October 18, 2013
- Jane Meadus quoted by the Toronto Star, October 18, 2013
Jane Meadus interviewed on CTV news, October 18, 2013
CTV News Channel Direct - Health care strategy missing - August 19, 2013
Canada AM - Shining a light on senior's health care - August 19, 2013
London Free Press - Nurse loses license - July 22, 2013
- CBC News - Families bear burden of care for seniors, says expert - June 26, 2013
- Toronto Star - Long-term health care: A look inside the often-baffling system - June 21, 2013
- CBC News - Ontario to double nursing home inspectors - June 10, 2013
- Welland Tribune - New corps of long term care inspectors to be hired - June 10, 2013
- London Free Press - Ontario Health Minister Deb Mathhews announces fulsome nursing home inspection program - June 10, 2013
- London Free Press - Health Minister Deb Matthews admits ministry failed to carry out annual inspections - June 5, 2013
- Toronto Star - Less than 1 in 5 long-term care homes received an annual inspection in the last 3 years - June 4, 2013
- Toronto Star - Ontario's long-term care homes must follow rules, scathing report shows: Editorial - June 2, 2013
- Welland Tribune - Few eyes on long-term care homes - June 1, 2013
- London Free Press - Free Press probe finds fewer than 20% of Ontario nursing homes get promised annual Health Ministry inspections - May 31, 2013
- Peterborough Examiner - Despite province's promise of annual inspections, only two of Peterborough's nine long-term care homes have had thorough inspections by provincial inspectors - May 31, 2013
- Toronto Star - Trillium Hospital plans to close 30 continuing care beds, issue 100 layoff notices - April 26, 2013
- Toronto Star - Government still dragging feet dealing with aggressive long-term care residents: Editorial - March 18, 2013