Long-Term Care Homes - Frequently Asked Questions

I want to make a complaint about a nursing home. How do I do this?

Anyone with problems, concerns and/or complaints about a home should call the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's ACTION line at 1-866-434-0144. It is open seven days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. They will take the information and pass along the complaint to the appropriate inspector who will contact you and determine whether it is appropriate to commence an investigation.

You can also write a complaint letter to the Director, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Performance Improvement and Compliance Branch which is located at 11th Floor, 1075 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2B1. The types of complaints that must be investigated and the timeframes in which they are to be investigated are set out in the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007.

Residents or others may also make a complaint to a staff person, the licensee or the Residents’ Council at the home. Each home is required by law to inform every resident how to make a complaint and to post this information in a public place in the home. If a complaint is made to the licensee or any staff member of the home, the licensee must investigate and resolve where possible within ten business days of receiving the complaint, and where this is not possible, acknowledge the complaint and provide a date by which the complainant can reasonably expect a resolution. The licensee must also send a copy of any written complaint to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and report the results of the investigation undertaken and every action taken as required by the legislation.

The Residents’ Bill of Rights says that every resident must be informed in writing about how to make a complaint. The Bill of Rights also says that residents have the right to raise concerns without fear of interference, coercion, discrimination, or reprisal.

For more information about how to make a complaint, please read “Complaints in Long-Term Care Homes”.