Home Care - Frequently Asked Questions

I receive home care services through a Community Care Access Centre (CCAC). I was recently told that the number of hours of services I receive will be reduced, even though I still need the same help at home. What can I do?

You have the right to ask the CCAC to review the decision to cut back services provided to you. The law says that the CCAC must tell you in writing how to make a complaint or ask for a review of a decision it has made. You should ask your case co-ordinator for a written explanation of what you must do to make a complaint. Find out why the CCAC is cutting back on the hours. Then, follow the steps in the complaints process. It is best to put your complaint in writing. The CCAC must make a final decision about your case within 60 days. If you do not get the answer you want, you have the right to appeal the CCAC decision to a special tribunal called the Health Services Appeal and Review Board. Home Care Complaints and Appeals is a helpful brochure published by Community Legal Education Ontario that explains how to make a complaint or start an appeal. The home care Bill of Rights says clearly that you have the right to raise concerns and recommend changes without fear of interference, coercion, discrimination or reprisal.

These documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print these publications. [Free Download]. If you are using a visual reader and cannot read PDF documents, please contact ACE for a hard copy of the document.